Friday, April 2, 2010

THE SCIENCE FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recently I entered a Science Fair at my school, Mullan Road. I got the best ribbon you can get!!! Hope you learn a thing or two about electromagnet motors!


Motors
(And how they work)

Motors are a not a simple matter, just so you know. They are made up of gears, metal and magnets. First there is an outside body, then there are the gears, and then there are the magnets. The outside body is the easy part to understand, it keeps all of the other parts inside of it. (You're probably thinking, "Well duh.") Lets skip to the magnets okay? Here we go! Well, magnets , just so you know, magnets are the hard part. There is this bar inside of it and there is this axle protruding from the middle of the bar that the bar spins on. It spins because of a little mechanism on the top of the metal motor body. It performs the task of attracting one of the sides of the bar, and pushing away the other side of the bar. This makes the bar start to spin and as soon as the attracted side of the bar is as close as it can be to the little mechanism at the top of the metal motor body, the mechanism starts attracting the side of the bar at the bottom, and starts pushing away the side of bar at the top, so it spins the bar again. It does this really, really, really fast, so you can fly a plane with it. Hey, by the way, we're not through with the tour yet. Back to the gears. Remember the axle we talked about up there? What spins it is a horde of gears on the other side of the motor. (Pretty simple, huh.) But for simplicity reasons, I am only demonstrating a motor with magnets, wires, and a battery. So now you know about motors, (well, you should) and thank you for your time!

The Student,
Britton


5 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Not only did you win the BIGGEST trophy for the Pinewood Derby.... BUT you also won the BEST ribbon for the science fair! We are so HAPPY for you! We miss you and hope you are having a great Spring Break. Wish you were here with us! Garret says he'll catch a wave for you!!!

Julie said...

Britton - I have been watching your web site for over a year hoping each time I looked that you would have an update adn tell us what you are doing. I was soooo excited to read about your being in the science fair and wining highest honors. Congratulations from Grandma and Papa.

Julie said...

Oh boy! Congratulations on winning the top award for the science fair! I really liked the way you explained what every part of the machine was. I haveno doubt that this award was just the first of many more awards in science! Love, Grama

4 Peanuts and a Cashew said...

Britton I loved your blog so much! Thank you for the letter i loved it your my favorite cousin ever!
Love, Madison

Krissy Noel said...

Britton!! Wow, I wish so badly that I could have seen your poster board at the science fair and that you could explain motors to me in person! I like the last picture of you with your ribbon. Congratulations on winning the best ribbon!! That is quite the accomplishment, but I'm not surprised since you are very smart! You aren't wearing glasses in that last picture either, and I almost didn't recognize you! I miss you, and I hope we will get to see each other soon enough.

Love,

Krissy